YPC concludes a two-day workshop on the "State of Gender Rights in Yemen"Thursday, 04 September, 2014
The YPC workshop on the “ State of Gender Rights in Yemen”, organized in partnership with the Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI), was held in Sana’a on 16-17 September 2012 as part of the YPC project “ Women’s Voice in New Yemen”.
Sixteen Civil Society Organizations from six Yemeni governorates: Sana’a, Aden, Taiz, Hadhramawt, Ibb and al-Hudaida gathered together to form a network of gender-based CSOs basically aimed at advocating and promoting women rights.
During the discussion, participants displayed deep commitment and enthusiasm when approaching key topics such as the rights women currently enjoy in their localities, the rights women are banned from and the obstacles and possible solutions on the promotion of women rights among the family, state, local communities, religious leaders and media outlets. One of the main conclusions of the workshop was that in this new phase, Yemen needs strong voices of women to enhance their participation in decision-making and that measures have to be taken to overcome the legal and social constraints preventing women from having an active role in their communities.
Naseema Al-Wajeeh, YPC Research Analyst stated that the workshop finalized with an agreement on the action plan to be followed by the network of gender-based CSOs and that a follow-up survey with the inputs of the workshop will be conducted within the next two months.
More on News
- Youth Lobby Group (YLG Aden) attended a training workshop on (advocacy strategies and communication skills) that organized by Yemen Polling Center (YPC) in Sanaa, Yemen.
- Women's Rights in Criminal Prosecution in Yemen
- YPC Youth Lobby Group and Journalist Association Workshops
- First Academic Workshop in Yemen discusses the "Revolution" of 2011
- The YPC hosts a workshop on CSO's and youth survey results